The Cheapest Ride in Town | VideoEvan Kruegel | 11/29/2012
"The people who are coming into town, when you say two dollars, they look at you in shock and say, `Only two dollars?` Because they`re coming from metro areas and they`re used to a bigger price," said driver John Pearcy.
The low cost is offset by state and federal funds, which cover 80 percent of the transit`s operating charges. The other 20 percent comes from that two dollar fare.
"Well at least you don`t have to pay five, six, or seven dollars to get on the bus like you do a taxi," said one rider.
"It`s wonderful, itís just wonderful, I wish more people would use it," said another.
On average, 80 to 110 people use the service every day, and over 1,500 people use it each month. As the city continues to grow, some additional services could be on the way soon.
"We`re handling the influx, but as the city grows were going to have to adjust how we provide that service, and I`m sure thatís coming up in the near future, perhaps including routes and bus stops, but between that and what we`re doing right now we should be able to come up with an answer that meets the needs of others," said Pearcy.
The goal for Pearcy and the other drivers is to brighten the mood of everyone who steps on the bus, especially the seniors who don`t get out that often. Those who use it on a regular basis aren`t sure what they`d do without it.
"I don`t know, I`d stay home!"
The only downside to the service is having to wait while other riders are dropped off, but drivers like Pearcy do their best to make it an enjoyable ride.
"It makes the day for them, the bus drivers try to get them into a discussion or into joking, and it just gives them a purpose, particularly the seniors."
For the customers, the door to door service and the friendly faces are well worth the wait.